Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Six Years Old's View on Healthy versus Unhealthy

We're at the dinner table enjoying what I'd consider a nice dinner.  For once, Noah's not screaming, and Jonah's not crying, and to top it off, Alina actually likes what I cooked (veggie quesadillas and a sweet potato/apple concoction).  If that didn't make feel like I was in the Twilight Zone, the conversation that ensued sure did. 

Alina (she's six):  Mom, I really think the lunches at school are unhealthy.  Their quesadillas only have chicken and cheese, not veggies, and they come with rice.  Don't ya think that's wrong?  I think I should tell them they should give us veggies.  It's like they're making lunch for themselves, not kids.  Don't they know we're still growing and need to eat healthy?  (dead serious look on her face)

Me:  Hmm, are you sure there aren't any vegetables?

Alina:  Mom, aren't you listening?  What did I just tell you?  There aren't any veggies.  (Big sigh)  I think I should bring my lunch a few days.  Let's go three days buy, two days bring:  Monday, Wednesday, Friday I'll buy.  They have lasagna rolls on Friday and they're healthy.

Me:  Oh, they are?  Ok.  Well, I think it'd be a good idea for you to bring your lunch a few days a week.

Alina:  Yes!  (huge smile on her face)  I know what I'm gonna put in my lunch - a sandwich, but not peanut butter because I don't like peanut butter, then fruit snacks, chips, and a cookie. 

Me:  Lina, what are you going to bring for your veggies?

Alina: Mom, why do I need to bring veggies in my lunch?

Me:  (Staring at her in amazement seriously doing everything in my power not to laugh)

Alina:  Mom!  What is that crazy look on your face for?

She is too much!  I was seriously about to fall off my chair.  I couldn't even open my mouth because I was going to burst out laughing.  She goes from seeming like she's 60 back to being 6.  I love it!

4 comments:

  1. That's Alina...gotta love it!!! She is just not sure how old she really is :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah right... She is ridiculous... she probably plotted this entire conversation in her brain prior to having it just so she could confuse everyone... in reality the school is probably serving all vegetables and Alina is feeling deprived of her cookies and fruit snackes so she just tricked you into allowing her to bring the good stuff twice a week hahaha j/k :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems to me I taught her well I believe she sceaming

    ReplyDelete